Survivors

Author:  David Long and Kerry Hyndman

Review by: Fergus

Year Group: Year 5

Review:
I am enjoying this book because it is all about how people survived dangers around the world!

This book is made up of several true stories for example Juliane Koepcke, the girl who fell from the sky and Poon Lim, the man who sucked blood from a shark.

All the people in this book are brave because they didn’t give up even though they probably felt like it.  This shows perseverance, which is one of our School values.

The story of Sue Ruff and Bruce Nelson, the couple who were blasted by a volcano, is my favourite so far.  This tale is about the deadliest eruption in American history and talks about “an avalanche of rock and soil careering down the mountainside”.   I enjoyed reading about the helicopter rescue at the end.

Whilst reading this book, I have learnt that an ornithologist is somebody who studies birds and their behaviour.

A word I was not sure about was the word “disintegrate”.  According to the dictionary, it means to separate into parts or fragments.

I have not read a book like this before but I will read another one like it.  I recommend this book to people 5-12 years of age even though my Mummy enjoyed it too!

Mark out of 5…
4 – Very Good

One thought on “Survivors

1. Thanks, Fergus, your review makes me want to read the book too! The stories sound fascinating and I’m sure must give us a few good tips for survival (though let’s hope we never end up in situations similar to the ones mentioned!).