The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, A Novel

Author:  Walter Moers

Review by: Joseph

Year Group: Year 4

Review:

Captain Bluebear is an actual bear who found himself floating in a walnut shell in the middle of the ocean. He is about to fall into the Malmstrom, a gigantic whirlpool, but is rescued by some Minipirates and is fostered on their ship. Soon, he grows too big for the ship and the Minipirates decide to  dump him on Hobgoblin Island. Hobgoblins enjoy it when people cry!

The book follows Captain Bluebear’s adventures as he travels to the Gloomberg Mountains to be educated by a professor called Nightingale who has seven brains. Bluebear goes on into the Great Forest, chased by a spider witch, into a Dimensional Hiatus, which teleports you between different dimensions and worlds. After that, Captain Bluebear ends up in the Demerara Desert, living in Tornado City for a while, before reaching Atlantis. There he is tricked into getting onto a slave ship, the biggest in the world, called SS Moloch. Can he escape and find a home that suits him?

I would recommend this book for someone who likes reading big books as it has 703 pages! It has great illustrations of Captain Bluebear’s adventures and worlds. It’s not like any other book I’ve ever read but almost all of it was exciting and I really wanted to keep reading it.

Mark out of 5…

4 – Very Good